- 25+ years professional experience as guitarist/vocalist in a variety of musical styles and settings.
- 10+ years full-time guitar instruction.
Towson University – Graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor’s degree in Music Education.
Private guitar lessons with nationally-renowned guitarists Carl Filipiak, Robert “Wawa” LeGrand and Bob Betlejewski. Private songwriting lessons with Jon Ims (“She’s in Love With the Boy” by Trisha Yearwood).
I’ve been guitarist/vocalist in a variety of club and private party bands over 25 years. A few highlights include:
- Vox Americana
- Acoustic duo performing original and cover songs. Toured US east coast. I wrote all songs and co-produced our album, Vox Americana!
- Captain Quint
- Tropical rock band performing original and cover songs. Toured US east coast and southern panhandle. I co-wrote and co-produced material for two albums: Pineapple Jam and The Swinging Sailor of Perryman. Fun Fact: Captain Quint was privileged to open up for Jimmy Buffett a number of times.
For more than 10 years I have taught guitar, a bit of ukulele and the occasional voice or bass lesson to adults and teens in my private studio.
I have also taught in the following settings:
- Maryland Conservatory of Music – private lessons for teens and adults, summer camps, director of Classic Rock Ensembles.
- Harford Community College – group guitar classes in the Continuing Education Dept.
- Harford Day School – after-school group classes.
- Towson University – private lessons in the Continuing Education Dept.
Other teaching highlights:
I’ve had two students accepted into the prestigious Berklee College of Music.
A number of current and former students play professionally in the Baltimore Metro area as members of original and cover bands, solo acts, church performers, and in musical theater pit bands.
My one-man private guitar studio has been voted Best Music Instruction (or one of the top three, competing with large music stores and music schools) five years running in Harford Magazine. They even did a feature spread on me: “Finding Your Inner Jimi Hendrix”.
My YouTube channel has 21 instructional videos, 17K+ subscribers and 2,000,000+ views.
My Facebook page, Jim Bowley Guitar, has 1900+ followers.
My Facebook group, Six String Life, has 500+ members.
As a teenager and young adult, I performed leading roles in a number of stage productions, including:
- Anything Goes
- West Side Story
- The Boyfriend
- Li’l Abner
- A Chorus Line
- The Odd Couple (play)
- Bye Bye Birdie
- You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown
From 2007 to 2010, I served as Musical Director for Young People’s Theater Project of Harford County. I’ve also played guitar for a number of college, high school and community stage productions, such as:
- Grease (musical director, drums)
- Annie (musical director)
- You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown (musical director, bass)
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
- The Civil War
- 13: The Musical
- High School Musical
Recording and Production
As a multi-instrumentalist and vocalist, I’ve performed on a number of recordings. Some of the instruments I’ve tracked are 6- and 12-string acoustic and electric guitars, bass, baritone guitar, dobro, mandolin, ukulele, banjo, high-strung guitar, keyboards and various percussion instruments.
I’ve provided vocals and/or various stringed things for:
- Vox Americana! by Vox Americana (2001)
- Pineapple Jam (2005) and The Swinging Sailor of Perryman (2006) by Captain Quint
- “Cabana Breeze” (2010) by John Patti
- Life on the Gulf (2006) by Jake and the Half-Conched Band
- “(Finally) A Refugee” (2013) by Piper Bateman
I’ve contributed engineering and/or production for:
- Vox Americana! (2001) – co-production with John Grant at Secret Sound
- The Swinging Sailor of Perryman (2006), co-engineer and co-production with Kevin Johnston at The Dungeon and Orca Sound, and with John Grant at Secret Sound
- “Cabana Breeze” (2010), engineering and co-production with John Patti at The Dungeon
- “(Finally) A Refugee” (2013), engineering and production at The Dungeon
The tracks “She Talks Like a Sailor (The Girlfriend Song)” and “When the Heart Says Yes” from Vox Americana! won Noteworthy awards from American Songwriter Magazine and Billboard International Song Contest.
“She Talks Like a Sailor” also placed as a top ten finalist in the national Best of Country 2001 Songwriter Showcase in Atlanta, GA.